Wednesday, April 1, 2009

New Creative Switchplate Covers



Today the painter began painting my kitchen. I selected two colors for my walls. Two shades of banana - light and medium.

Once the switchplate covers were removed from the walls, I decided to get creative and paint and stamp them. They are like little paintings. What seemed to work the best was transparent inks that come in little bottles. The ink takes to the plastic switchplate like a duck to water. And when you squirt a different color ink onto an ink that is still wet you get a wonderful abstract thing going on.

Now this idea is not my idea and I must give credit where credit is due. When my little neighbor friend, Sonny Farnsworth, was in summer camp about the age of 10, she made me some black and white switchplate covers, checkerboard (because my kitchen floor is black and white, white cabinet and black granite counters) and they have been on my back splash for at least 8 years. And they still look fantastic. I think she used black acrylic paint and just free hand, painted black squares and left the white switchplate exposed in some areas. Sonny was the most creative little girl and still is (she's in college in NYC) So thank you Sonny for the idea. I wouldn't have thought of it on my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment