Saturday, July 3, 2010


Estate Sale - 10-5 Saturday & Sunday. Burt said, "Did you see the sign?" I said, "Of Course!" There were several other tag sales in my neighborhood that began a little earlier so I stopped at those first. I managed to get to the estate sale about 9:50. It was odd that there wasn't a string of parked cars waiting for the house to open. But instead, there were some items on the driveway and no one in sight. I decided to stop. After looking around for a few minutes an older woman, dressed in a fourth of July outfit came out and said "Hello" in a big voice. She looked like my grandmother did in the 60's. Her name was Donna.She was from Asheville, NC; a real estate broker, had a charter fishing boat in the virgin islands for 9 years and she loved to spend her days making homemade preserves. My grandmother spent a lot of her time making preserves! Her name was Bernice. Donna also loves to make jewelry and of course I told her I had owned a bead store in Chicago in the early 70's. I noticed some mercury glass bead garland on the blanket. How much are these? I said. "Make me an offer!" Well, how about $1.00. She said fine. Then I noticed two more on another display that she had. "I'll take these, too" I couldn't take my eyes off the peach preserves that she had just made. They were still warm. "I don't suppose you make your preserves without sugar!" "I can and I will make you some!" After a short discussion we are going to trade preserves for beads. As I was walking to my car she yelled, "Do you like Tomato Jam?" I nearly flipped out....how did she know that was my all-time favorite and you can't find it in any supermarket. My grandmother made it in the summer back in Indiana.

We said our goodby's and decided we were kindred spirits and no doubt will be seeing each other again very soon.
July 3, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment