Sunday, January 25, 2015

Mount Holyoke College Art Museum




Went over to Mount Holyoke College Botanical Garden last Friday. Drew a little in the succulent room. Then went over to the Art Museum and oh my....There was a small exhibit of Yoshida Hiroshi and his family that created prints in Japan for the last 3 centuries. I never have drawn a boat. (Pencil sketch) I copied it ...The originals (4) were done at different times of the day....my iphone was totally out of juice so I couldn't take a photo of these 4 beauties but I'm definitely going back.
 
Then I opened up a little set of inexpensive gouache tube paints....and I've been having a lot of fun painting with them. I love the way you can get flat color backgrounds.  I tried a turtle swimming deep in the sea.  What I learned was that the background water had to be dark in order for it to look like he was swimming underwater rather than above it.  Then the hardest of all -- a selfie -- using the gouache.  You can remove the paint easily giving way to highlights underneath (if the color is light, that is)....

No comments:

Post a Comment